Friday, November 23, 2012

Thinking Over Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving seemed easier to handle this year.  For some reason, I felt more relaxed.  Maybe it's because we didn't try to do everything all on the same day.  I remember I went to three different Thanksgiving celebrations last year, and I ate at least part of a meal at each one.  This year, we went out to my parents' house and stayed the night on Wednesday, had breakfast Thursday morning, and trekked back out to my in-laws' celebrations.  I ate a lot less overall and in general, I felt better.

I also didn't try to go Black Friday shopping.  I felt good about that too.  As my loving husband gently reminds me, we have everything we need, and we should be grateful for all that we have.  I always feel that there is something more that I could be doing to help the community.  There is such a need for people to volunteer in some way, and I wish that I could fill that need all the time.

We give to others to show our appreciation for them, but it's not always easy to find gifts that were made with the well-being of the workers in mind.  However, if you have some Christmas shopping to do, here are some web sites that sell great products for a greater purpose.

www.sevenly.org - Sevenly is an awesome company that partners with a different charity each week.  They make t-shirts, hoodies, totes, and sweatshirts with a message that coincides with the charity's mission.  Sevenly donates $7 from each purchase to the charity.  This week, they are partnering with the National Autism Association. 

www.krochetkids.org - Krochet Kids International is a non-profit organization that sells crocheted products made by women in Uganda and Peru so that the women can earn a fair wage and provide for their families.

www.madeforgood.com - Made for Good is a network of brands and products that, like Sevenly, supports several different causes.

For more gifts that support great causes, follow this link.

See you next week!

Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment