Saturday, December 22, 2012

Snickerdoodles

I learned something new about my husband today.  I've known that sugar cookies are his favorite only for the past couple of months (I know, I'm a terrible wife), and he's okay with other kinds of cookies.

But he hates snickerdoodles.

Now, I don't mind snickerdoodles.  In fact, I think they're just as good as any other cookie.  But he  hates them with a passion.  Why?  Because...they disguise themselves as sugar cookies.  They pretend to be something they're not.  And if it's a frosted snickerdoodle, he can't tell the difference until he takes that first bite.

He hates the deception.  And all around, he thinks they taste bad.

We all hate different kinds of food for some strange reason.  One of my sisters will only eat peanut butter sandwiches - she can't stand the taste and texture of jelly.  Another sister hates apples.  One of my brothers will not touch pasta, and the other cried when he was forced to try a bit of sloppy joe.  Hell, I cried the first time my mom made me try Campbell's vegetable beef soup.  She made me stay in my room until I promised to try it.  Now, I will eat almost anything.  I'm even starting to be okay with broccoli.  However, you will never convince me to eat cauliflower.  It is disgusting and makes me want to vomit.  I will eat almost every kind of fruit, and a few vegetables, but there is nothing I hate more than cauliflower.

Knowing these likes and dislikes of the ones you love is a privilege.  It means you got to spend enough time with someone to know what they like.  It says to me, "I paid attention to you.  I know you don't like that, but I know you love this."  The idea of using food for Pavlovian training also intrigues me.  For example, I've thought about making, oh...let's say lasagna for dinner every time I have a big announcement.  If I made lasagna just because, would he ask me if I had a big announcement to make? I think it would be very interesting and hilarity would ensue.

Food is such a universal concept, and I find it almost eerie how food can bring people together.  Funerals, weddings, holidays, date nights - meal time is a place to get to know each other, to support each other, and to be open to the ideas that others are sharing with you.  It's beautiful, really.  The human need for sustenance is an amazing force that can either bring people together, or tear them apart, depending on the circumstances.  If there's plenty of food to go around, people are happy.  If there's not, well...people aren't so happy.  But that's life.  Sometimes there's food, and sometimes there's not.  And we just need to support each other when times are lean.

Enjoy being around your friends and family, and have a Merry Christmas!

Warmest Regards,

Melanie E.

No comments:

Post a Comment